Walden

Thank you again for your continued help.

Walden H. Leverich wrote:

Rob,

Do you have control of the <BODY> tag?

No. I can only add scripts & HTML in one or more blocks before the AFIELD input and also in more or more blocks after the input fields but before the buttons at the bottom are written out.

Specifically can you add an
onLoad= attribute?

I don't know - does the above help?

The onLoad attribute specifies a function for the
browser to call when it's done loading the page. This would solve two
problems:

1) Since the page was loaded you would be sure that all the elements
were there. Thus the getElementsByName and getElementById would always
work.

2) You could solve your focus problem by using the focus() method:
document.getElementsByName('AFIELD.007-016')[0].focus();

If you can't change the body tag you could also inject some code into
the body tag by placing the following in one of your script blocks:

document.getElementsByTagName("BODY")[0].setAttribute("onLoad",
"DoOnLoad()");
function DoOnLoad()
{document.getElementsByName('AFIELD.007-016')[0].focus();}

This adds the onLoad attribute to the BODY tag and tells it to call
DoOnLoad() it also defines DoOnLoad to set the focus.

I wasn't expecting a solution to the focus problem and am most grateful. I tried it and it works in NS & Firefox, but not in IE. It does make a tremendous difference to productivity when it works but the majority of people use IE so I do need to find a way of getting it going for IE.

I have tried taking out all the <HR> code and also putting the <HR> code in a separate script without any obvious effect. If it was missing in the code I sent you, I must have snipped out too much!

I have also tried taking out defer="true" and this stopped IE from changing the button text but had no obvious effect in NS. I have not been able to update the button text in NS whatever I have done. Unless there is another way to change the button text in IE, I need defer="true" for IE. Unfortunately I cannot, as standard, put any code after the form unless someone knows a "clever" way of doing this. Might putting this into a .js file help?

I wasn't sure what you meant by the wrapped string constants in the fm() function, but the FM() function does work.

You must have spent considerable time on my problems and I am so grateful. What I am learning is that there is even more that I don't understand than I realised!

Could the onload technique for the focus code also be used for the button changes or can it be used for only one function?

Getting the focus code to work in NS caused me a lot of problems and it may be help if I explain what I had to do.

Firstly, I copied the generated source code for a page into Notepad, and then copied and pasted the focus code from your e-mail and it worked in NS without any change - wonder of wonders!

So I then changed my RPG code to generate the focus code and it would not work although it seemed that I had typed it correctly.

To check, I copied the relevant part of the code from the Notepad changed file and the code that I had generated into another Notepad document and lined them up, one below the other. I could find not diffence in a character by character comparison. I checked very carefully and then did it again just in case I had copied the same text twice. Still no difference. I then copied and pasted your code directly from your email a little at a time into my RPG source and it worked. So I did the comparison again and could still find no difference between any of the versions. I just wondered if I had a character set problem as I imagine that you and I do not use the same code pages. Perhaps the same character visually has a different ASCII or ECBDIC code between our two systems or between my email package and my AS/400.

It really doesn't seem likely but I really was so careful.

Many thanks

best wishes

Rob