Rob,

Do you have control of the <BODY> tag? Specifically can you add an
onLoad= attribute? The onLoad attribute specifies a function for the
browser to call when it's done loading the page. This would solve two
problems:

1) Since the page was loaded you would be sure that all the elements
were there. Thus the getElementsByName and getElementById would always
work.

2) You could solve your focus problem by using the focus() method:
document.getElementsByName('AFIELD.007-016')[0].focus();

If you can't change the body tag you could also inject some code into
the body tag by placing the following in one of your script blocks:

document.getElementsByTagName("BODY")[0].setAttribute("onLoad",
"DoOnLoad()");
function DoOnLoad()
{document.getElementsByName('AFIELD.007-016')[0].focus();}

This adds the onLoad attribute to the BODY tag and tells it to call
DoOnLoad() it also defines DoOnLoad to set the focus.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO
Tech Software