Aaron Bartell wrote:
Call it what you want I guess. I can't compete with
custom-made-ready-to-order-realities.
Aaron, if you can't stop with the name-calling, I'm not going to respond to you. I don't have custom-made-ready-to-order realities. I have considered positions based on a fairly substantial career in the industry. If you have a contrary position please share your facts, but have a little respect.

Many layers? One layer! EGL -> Java.
There are the auto-generated layers, then there are the different
technology/language layers. If you can't see them then I won't try to
convince you.
What layers? EGL generates Java. The Java runs as a service responding to URLs. How many layers is that?

WAS works fine unless you do something bad, but then so does PHP or CGIDEV2
or anything else.

Maybe it's just my experiences, but the complication involved in RPG CGI is
much smaller than EGL/Java and an Application server - no questions asked.
You test in the IDE, export an EAR, deploy the EAR. It seems pretty simple to me.

You can kludge with a lot of hidden fields, but that's a bad idea.

So how exactly is EGL doing it *without* hidden fields?
It's using SOA. No pretending to be a 5250. The business logic is just business logic. That's the beauty of SOA.

It's called SOA, and it works like magic.

I don't do too much with SOA so I don't really know what you are talking
about here. What exactly is SOA?

SOA is the latest name for loosely coupled client/server programming. The same basic technology that has been called client/server, 3-tier, and n-tier variously over the years. The primary difference is that prior to this point, you had to rewrite the plumbing for every new technological deployment - this I am intimately familiar with, having written perhaps a dozen different C/S architectures over my career. Now there are a couple of standard plumbing techniques, namely SOAP and REST, and if your IDE is aware of either ogf these, it can do much of the work for you. If your language is metadata-aware, like EGL, then it can generate pretty much all of the plumbing.

You can create a record, identify that record as a parameter to a function, and then expose the function via web services. EGL will then do all the work of generating the WSDL and exposing the URL for the service. No hand-coding, and you can send the WSDL to someone else and they can invoke your service (I've been doing that the last couple of days).

How much work does it take to expose an RPG program as a service using RPG-CGI?

Joe