Your obviously free to pursue that if you wish, but I do not see why.  IBM
doesn't state there are any limitations on their support, just are there
aren't any on Apache in OS/400.  WebSphere Application Server also uses
many open source components and there are no questions about its support.

Mark

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/05/2004 01:39:01 PM:

> And I don't mean to slam IBM. It's not lost on me that I've received
some
> excellent support from IBM developers through this very list.
>
> Maybe what is needed is less a change in how IBM supports the
WDSCi-Eclipse

http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-2.1.3-200403101828/readme_ecli
> pse_2_1_3.html
>
> Mark
>

> wdsci-l-bounces+markp=softlanding.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/05/2004
> 01:17:35 PM:
>
> > Good points, Mark.
> >
> > I would still feel more comfortable if IBM explicitly said something
> like:
> > "If an Eclipse bug prevents WDSCi from delivering functionality
> described in
> > WDSCi documentation, IBM will fix it."
> >
> > Your differentiation between a bug that prevents expected functioning
> and a
> > product enhancement is a point well-taken.  The plug-in uninstall
issue
> is
> > more of a product enhancement.
> >
> > Kelly

Toolbox

> > (and
> > > someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that IBM ships a version of
> Toolbox
> > in
> > > the iSeries IFS and supports that version like other IBM products.
> This
> > > makes Toolbox different than Eclipse.

> > of
> > > support
> > >
> > > Maybe I'm missing something. If I have a problem with WebSphere
> > Application
> > > Server not deploying a Web Module properly (has never
happened...just
> > > fictional example), I feel confident I can call IBM and get support,

> and
> > > they will work on the problem immediately and come up with a
solution.

> > When
> > > I actually had this problem with my Tomcat server (Tomcat 5 needed
> > have
> > > the tools.jar file from my sdk copied into its common\lib
directory),
> > had
> > > to spend hours sifting through Web pages and email lists to find
what
> > > hoped was a working solution. If I hadn't gotten lucky and stumbled
> > across a
> > > solution, well, then what? This seems like a major difference
between
> > > licensed product with paid support and an open source product with
> > > 'community' support.
> > >
> > > Please feel free to enlighten me. :-)
> > > Kelly

Management