All,

In a servlet that does the following:

HttpServlet.doGet()
        Connection conn = dataSource.getConnection();
        conn.setAutoCommit(false);

        // perform some work - only reading data

        conn.close();

We get the following exception:

[8/3/04 14:08:18:756 EDT] 42ae42ae LocalTranCoor E WLTC0033E: Resource
jdbc/ds_fax_tracking rolled back in cleanup of unresolved
LocalTransactionContainment.
[8/3/04 14:08:18:786 EDT] 42ae42ae LocalTranCoor E WLTC0032E: One or more
resources rolled back. An unresolved LocalTransactionContainment had an
unresolved action of rollback.
[8/3/04 14:08:18:796 EDT] 42ae42ae WebAppTransac E WTRN0043I: LocalTransaction
rolled-back due to setRollbackOnly.
[8/3/04 14:08:18:836 EDT] 42ae42ae WebGroup      E SRVE0026E: [Servlet
Error]-[LocalTransaction rolled-back due to setRollbackOnly]:
com.ibm.ws.LocalTransaction.RolledbackException
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java)

In this case we do set auto commit to false but we actually did not do an
updates / inserts / deletes. If we change this to:

HttpServlet.doGet()
        Connection conn = dataSource.getConnection();
        conn.setAutoCommit(false);

        // perform some work - only reading data

        conn.commit();

        conn.close();

In this case we do not get this exception. The drawback is that we do a commit
but we did not even modify any data.

What is the correct way to handle this situation?
How should we handle this (if we were not able to remove the auto commit false
setting)?

Etienne