> From: Mark Phippard
>
> JSP/Java and HTML have slightly different relative paths because of
how
> they handle the context root.

Actually, Mark, it's a little more involved than that.  As it turns out,
the problem occurs when you include a JSP via the
RequestDispatcher.include() method.  In WAS5, if you get your request
dispatcher from the servlet context and then include a JSP, the context
base is actually /servlet, and it uses this as the base when resolving
HTML requests such as CSS links, even though the actual JSP may be from
a completely different context.  In WAS35, it seems that the dispatcher
used the context of the JSP as its base, not the context of the servlet.

The WAS35 technique is much nicer, since it allows you to create your
applications without worrying about the context of the servlet.

This is confusing in words.  An example:

public class Includer extends HttpServlet implements Servlet {

        public void doGet (HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse
resp)
                        throws ServletException, IOException {
                        getServletContext().

getRequestDispatcher("/app1/v1/test1.jsp").
                                        forward(req, resp);
                }
}

The JSP, /app1/v1/test1.jsp:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>test1.jsp</TITLE>
<LINK rel="stylesheet" href="../include/styles/blue.css"
        type="text/css">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>Snippet Below</P>
<%@include file="../../include/snippets/snip1.jsp"%>
<P>Snippet Above</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Both the snippets folder and the styles folder exist in the same include
folder.  But to access the snippet, I need to use TWO "../" references,
while the CSS requires only one.

If, however, I try to run the JSP directly without the use of the
servlet, it will not pick up the CSS... UNLESS I include TWO "../"