Wow - I'm surprised that your SOX auditors allow you to do that.  It seems
like you've got a system there an it must work.  But it seems to me that
it's leaves some room for problems/issues.  What if you had a disgruntled
developer that wanted to write some malicious code.  You could write the
program, so do something bad - or transfer funds to a private account or
something like that, then remove the real source, and allow the ILE source
to just be sitting there.  Then when an issue came up or some other
question - bingo - any evidence of the wrong doing is gone.

I just think typically - you would want to always have the source match
the  compiled object.

But, like it said - it sounds like you've got a system in place to control
it.  Just thought that  I give my thoughts - might be something to think
about.

Good luck with it.

Jeff Stevens
Mize, Houser & Co. P.A.
913 451 1882
JStevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Bob P. Roche" <BRoche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/26/2006 09:25 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Converting RPG to RPGLE

We only have 6 RPG programmers on staff. The RPG source file is locked
down. Only a few people have access to it. The RPGLE source member has all

the code. If you want to debug a program, you recompile it. Even when the
code was still RPGIII, that was the way it was done here. Most of the
programs that are still RPGIII were compiled out of source libraries from
programmers who are no longer here, *SOURCE will never find the original
code to let debug work. This conversion was done a few years back, I was
still writing RPGIII programs in RPGIV syntax, but It was a start at the
time.

One of the other divisions only converted code as it was worked on. That
was a mess in my opinion. When I needed to look for source, I had to be
sure to get it from the right file. What if it was converted and the old
version was left in the file? My way left no doubts if you worked on code
for my group it came from the ILE file. Being a small shop Also helps Of
the 6 of us 1 is our director, still codes occasionally. 3 are EDI
support, and have there own source files, though now do some work with my
code to help out. 1 other programmer and I won't write anything not in
RPGIV, and most of the time program for 2 different divisions. That have
there own source libraries.

Being a publicly traded company and dealing with US Sarbanes-Oxley
requirements, the checkout and changing of programs are very well
documented. We were before the law came down, Now we just have more
paperwork to prove to the auditors that we are following it properly.

"Raby, Steve" <agnictsr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces+broche=packagingcorp.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/26/2006 08:48 AM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Converting RPG to RPGLE

I have to agree with that. Is this well documented? What if someone (a
contractor) comes along and doesn't know about this, and isn't told, and
starts looking around for source that may match the actual object? You
could get into loads of problems just on that score. Doing it this way
will take very rigid control, and that too may lead to problems if it is
relaxed at any point, which in my experience is more probable than not.