Eric,

I use a standard toolkit of messaging procedures that minimizes
exposure to
these sorts of errors. One thing you may be missing is that the call
stack in
ILE programs includes program entry point (PEP) procedures, which mess

up the old "send it back a level" technique.

The iSeries-toolkit at www.iseries-toolkit.org addresses this several
ways.
First the sndmsg procedures can be set to ignore PEP procedures. I
generally
use a single program queue for all messages so that I can forward
messages
that will be displayed in a procedure that is not yet on the stack.
Here is some
documentation that describes how these work:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=8860&group_id=39365

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=10536&group_id=39365

Set the default program queue to the intial program of an interactive
job:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=10303&group_id=39365

>>> eric_a_wolf@hotmail.com 04/23/02 03:52PM >>>
[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

To the group,

This is almost like the user with the service program problem.  Here is
my
problem:

Pgm A calls Pgm B (which handles all Error checking).  When an error is
found,
the QMHSNDPM pgm is called in Pgm B with the following parms -
MSGTYPE=*DIAG,
MSGQUE=*, and MSGSTACK=1 (I have tried 1-6).

I can see the issued message using WRKUSRJOB-Display Joblog, but the
message
does not display in the message subfile for the display format.  The
funny
thing is this - prior to converting these programs to RPGLE, it work
fine as
RPG programs.

Eric A. Wolf