>From: "Condon, Mike, /m1c" <m1c@ingersoll-imc.com>
>Subject: ILE program problem
>Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:55:53 -0500
>
>I have the following ILE (my 1st) program that fails whenever I set an
>environment variable
>in a CL program using addenvvar. I'll have to admint that since I am a 400
>programmer I don't
>know ILE at all. It gets this error:
>Message . . . . :   Pointer or parameter error (C G D F).
>
>And here's the program:
>DGetEnv           PR              *   ExtProc('GetEnv')
>DEnvData@                         *   Value Options(*String)
>Dgalflibr         S             16A   Based(EnvData@)
>C     *entry        plist
>C                   parm                    envlibr          16
>C*                  movel     *blanks       galflibr         16
>C                   eval      EnvData@ = GetEnv('GALFLIBR')
>C                   movel     galflibr      envlibr
>C                   MOVE      *ON           *INLR
>C                   RETURN

Mike, you are probably not getting a pointer back from GetEnv.
I forget why, but prior to V5R1 you should use ExtProc
('Qp0zGetEnvNoCCSID').
V5R1 and after you should use ExtProc('getenv').

But even when you get your pointer back, you might have problems.
The value galflibr will have a x'00' character indicating the
end of the data.  If you use %str to get the data, instead of
using a based variable, you will avoid the x'00.  It's safer to
use %str anyway, because it won't access the pointed-to data
beyond the valid length.  Using a based variable to copy the
data might cause you to occasionally get MCH0601 (pointer offset
error).

Here's how you'd use %str:

c                    eval      envlibr = %str(EnvData@)

(How do I know about Qp0zGetEnvNoCCSID?  Looking at the C header
file stdlib.h, there is a #pragma map from GetEnv to "Qp0zGetEnvNoCCSID".
#pragma map has a similar function to RPG's EXTPROC keyword.  Starting
in V5R1, the #pragma map is conditioned by target < 510.)

Barbara Morris