  • Subject: Re: problem with using D-specs in a procedure
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:14:36 -0400

Joe,

>An associate was trying to use some code shown in
>Bob Cozzi's RPG IV book and it won't compile. I've looked
>at it and don't see the problem. What am I missing?

Two problems:

 1)  The use of Overlay( Sunday ) would require the array to
completely fit within the size of subfield "Sunday", which is why you
get RNF7303 on statement 102.   If you are running at least V4R3, you
can name the DS instead, as in Overlay( Days ).  If you are on a
release prior to V4R3, there are other ways of doing this.  What
release are you on?

 2) On the RETURN statement, the subprocedure DayOfWeek() is not
defined within your code snipets.  And judging from the RNF7503 in the
compile listing, it isn't defined elsewhere either.

Presumably, if your associate lifted this example from Cozzi's book,
then the book should also have an example DayOfWeek() routine which
also needs to be included.

I suspect the book also uses Overlay( Days ), but since I don't have
the book that is just a SWAG on my part.

Doug