I am pretty sure HP is doing that know with cartridges and seems like
someone else was (Canon, Lexmark?)

On 8/22/06, Douglas Handy <dhandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is a little crazy to spend $79 or even less for a cheap printer and
> have to spend the same amount on cables....what a racket.

Wait until you add up the ink costs over the life of the printer on the
"cheap" ink jets.  It is astronomical compared to the toner in laser

I've heard it said they expect $1700 profit in ink from one printer, and
help ensure you pay premium prices for official ink instead of knock offs,
are considering putting electronic codes on the cartridges so the printer
will only work with "genuine" cartidges, plus they won't accept a refill.
(That serial number cartridge could not be used in the printer again.)

I don't know if any printers are actually doing this yet, but I've heard
that it is coming...

This is the PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users (PcTech) mailing
or email: PcTech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
at http://archive.midrange.com/pctech.