latest critical fix and automatic updates

fixed

Thru various web sources (zdnet, etc) MS issued "critical" fixes
Tuesday. Since Tue my desktop did it's automatic updates & prompted me
to reboot. I did. Later (same day)I went to Windows Update site to check my pc,
and there was the whole list 8 security fixes, including the critical update.
If Automatic Updates is configured to "download and prompt for reboot",
why would it not get what's out there?
Is Automatic Update not reliable?
I checked with another programmer (diff site) - had same problem.
I run Zone Alarm, he does not...
jim franz