From: Mark Plank [mailto:mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:31 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] latest critical fix and automatic updates

Not at all related to your issue, but I do manual downloads on most of the
pcs here.  The Windows 2000 (those are getting replaced in a couple of
weeks!) all had 9 updates, but the Windows XP Pro machines had either 10,
11, or 13, *not* the 12 I was expecting.  All were checked last week and
were all current.  All were checked again either yesterday or today after
the updates were installed and the reboot was done, and all are current.  I
have no idea why pcs I purchased 4 months ago, update on the same schedule,
and running the same software would have a different number of Windows
updates.  In case it makes a difference, all of these also use Cornerstone
from CenturionGuard, which prevents users (patrons) from making permanent
changes to the pcs.

One staff member does have her pc setup for automatic updates, and it didn't
update automatically.  Or maybe it was handled just like your situation was,
and when I checked yesterday, 11 updates were shown, and that is what I
downloaded and installed.

Mark Plank

--
Mark Plank
Information Systems Manager

Jim Franz wrote:

Thru various web sources (zdnet, etc) MS issued "critical" fixes
Tuesday. Since Tue my desktop did it's automatic updates & prompted me
to reboot. I did. Later (same day)I went to Windows Update site to check my
pc,
and there was the whole list 8 security fixes, including the critical
update.
If Automatic Updates is configured to "download and prompt for reboot",
why would it not get what's out there?