Mike,

Thanks for all that good stuff.  having not done this before, I would
hate to have flown blind into this.

> > In what order would you do this?  my thoughts:
> >
> > format the new pcs drives clean and re-install XP home (as usual, lots
> > of 60 day trials and other crap I don't want will be pre-installed and
> > i'd just as soon start fresh)
>
> Why are you going to re-install XP home on the new PC?  Is this because
> you only have an XP Pro Upgrade?

the only reason for this is that I like a fresh install, not someone
else's idea of a fresh install.  I don't like the way new pcs are
'branded' and I don't like all the "try this!" advertising and 60 day
trial versions of stuff they're paid to install on new PCs - I have
all the software I need or want and I won't be trying anything that
might come with it.

I also don't want an Office XP 2K3 or MS Works imprint on it when I'm
going to install my copy of office 2k overtop it.

I've just always had better luck with scraping it clean and starting fresh.

> If it were me, I'd just go ahead and put
> XP Pro on the New PC if thats the one you want on there.  Then call
> Microsoft and tell them you upgraded.  At this point you should have XP
> Pro working and activated on both PC's.  Although, legally you're supposed
> to remove it from the old PC.  :)  But since you want to reformat the old
> one anyway, do that.  Then install XP Home, and you will probably need to
> call MS and tell them you upgraded that one too.

sounds like a plan.  except, I would be telling them I downgraded the
old one, right?

thanks again,

Rick