Rick,

> Has anyone done this?

I've done something similar to what you are doing a few times before.

> Will a preloaded OEM version of XP load on another pc, assuming it
> comes with a real XP CD, and not some 'disaster recovery' type install
> CD?

If it's not a disaster recovery CD, it should.  I have installed XP
several times with OEM copies, and I've never had a problem.  They were
never pre-loaded copies though, although I doubt there is anything
different with those.  If they are actual Microsoft CD's, then I can't
imagine it is hardware specific.  If it is though, it should just force
you to activate it within 30 days.

There have been times when I took the harddrive from a new PC and put it
in the original PC and installed the OS using the Disaster Recovery CD's,
then moved it back into the new PC.  Kind of a pain, and there may be an
easier way around that, but for me that worked.  :)

> When the mother ship gets wind of a change in processors on both
> installs, what is the process to activate the installs?

There is a number to call.  When it tells you to activate, you can get the
phone number there.

> In what order would you do this?  my thoughts:
>
> format the new pcs drives clean and re-install XP home (as usual, lots
> of 60 day trials and other crap I don't want will be pre-installed and
> i'd just as soon start fresh)

Why are you going to re-install XP home on the new PC?  Is this because
you only have an XP Pro Upgrade?  If it were me, I'd just go ahead and put
XP Pro on the New PC if thats the one you want on there.  Then call
Microsoft and tell them you upgraded.  At this point you should have XP
Pro working and activated on both PC's.  Although, legally you're supposed
to remove it from the old PC.  :)  But since you want to reformat the old
one anyway, do that.  Then install XP Home, and you will probably need to
call MS and tell them you upgraded that one too.

Mike