I read in the daybook at
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/view/currentview.html#terror

<<
Tom Brosz has a suggestion: bin Laden must have assets in banks. The US
should issue letters of marque and reprisal to hackers. Internet pirates
with a national commission...

Surely his financial holdings have left a trail.
<<

Ever see the Robert Redford movie "Sneakers"? What I'm remembering from it
now is how they cleaned out the GOP's bank account  and deposited the funds
as they saw fit.  Oh, for someone to find and empty Bin Laden's accounts,
maybe wire the funds to the September 11th fund. . .

Seriously, I do hope that tracking & seizing assets is part of the US's
intelligence work to defend against terrorism.

Not until reading the "What Does Osama Bin Laden Want?" article (I think
that is the title & I forget where it was posted), did I realize that
he/fellow terrorists supplemented his independent wealth via extortion.

Some pundits have suggested that killing Bin Laden would be
effective because it would stanch the flow of cash to
terrorists. This may not be so. Bin Laden's groups do get
funds from his personal fortune, but they also finance
operations by dunning wealthy Gulf Arabs and by siphoning off
donations to Muslim charities.

Seems Bin Laden & followers finance themselves similar to the mafia in
America. When head mafia figures do serve time, isn't it typically for
extortion, racketeering, money laundering, and/or tax evasion rather than
the umpteen counts of murder for which they cannot be proven guilty?

Do the laws of the countries where this "dunning" & "siphoning" occurs
recognize the practice as illegal? If so, does local law enforcement have
the means to apprehend, prosecute, convict, & punish on this count? If they
don't, I think this is the opportunity for the international community to
ensure that necessary legislation is passed & enforced.

Regardless of what action is taken against those responsible for 9/11, there
WILL be others (I don't ever expect a complete global conversion of hearts &
minds). I think local prosecution of illegal activity which facilitates
terrorist acts could make it harder for future terrorists to accomplish what
they did Tuesday.