<< I think MAPICS did that>>

That logic goes all the way back to IPICS, which was a card-based inventory system on the S/3 Mod 10 and Mod 15. It was supplanted by online IPICS on the S/3 Mod 15D. Those were the days.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of VERNON HAMBERG Owner via MIDRANGE-L
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2024 3:43 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: VERNON HAMBERG Owner <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RRN Reletive record number question

+1 Holger!

There was a time when the RRN was used to make things like a bill-of-materials - a linked list of things, and the RRN of the next item in the list was stored in a row. I think MAPICS did that - at least, that's the example of an application that relied on preserving RRNs.

Here are reasons not to say *YES on REUSEDLT, as listed in the 7.5 documentation -

Note: Because of the way the system reuses deleted record space, the following types of files should not be created or changed to reuse deleted record space:
* - Files processed using relative record numbers, and files used by an application to determine a relative record number that is used as a key into another file
* - Files used as queues
* - Any files used by applications that assume new record insertions are at the end of the file
* - When DB2® Symmetric Multiprocessing is installed, files on which you expect to have parallel index maintenance performed when rows are updated, inserted, or deleted
Cheers
Vern