I was able to run it in this manner, but it absolutely refuses to recognize that we have a blank Excel workbook open.
But... then we told it to transfer to "File" instead (and chose .XLS) and it worked. Go figure.

So now I guess I need to create a shortcut on his desktop that does the "java -jar acsbundle.jar" from a (admin) Cmd.exe window, in the appropriate folder.

Just put a frilly skirt on me and call me Fifi...