Troy Hyde wrote:
One of our web programmers is creating a page that contains among other things, a description of printers including the IP address. She has been able to obtain all of the information >
she needs via SQL except the IP address.

I can write an SQL function for her using the Retrieve Device Description (QDCRDEVD) API. However, IBM has been giving us more and more of this
information with their own tables/views/functions etc.

Does anyone know if this information is available with pure SQL skipping the api? I don't want to reinvent the wheel. >
Eg. "select ip_address from qsys2/qdprtnfo where specific_device = "myprinter"

Then Booth Martin wrote:
"Addressing anything with the IP address strikes me as setting up a a future problem. Would a DNS be an easier solution?"

Then Booth Martin further wrote:
What is the objection to using a DNS?

Booth -

IMHO it seems that Chuck was trying to inform that your response to Troy's question was unresponsive.

Regardless of whether the printer devices on Troy's system were defined with host names or IP addresses, it appears that the QDCRDEVD API can return either the host name /or/ the IP address for the device, but this information is irrelevant for the current topic.

In other words, whether DNS is being used is NOT a relevant response to Troy's question. Perhaps your response should have been in a new thread with a topic "Host Names vs IP addresses for IBM i printer devices"...

-sjl