From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Nathan Andelin
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:18 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Track all records read from a table

Mark,

That assumption about backups firing READ triggers sounded fishy from the
beginning. Thanks for raising the question. Copy commands (CPYxxxxxxx) may
be different story. That would be good to test.

I don't get why anyone would transfer a read buffer to a journal, rather
than to a log file. Wouldn't that just make it harder for users to query?

Regarding trigger overhead, consider an RPG "read" opcode; Under the covers,
the RPG program makes procedure calls nested at least a couple layers deep.
Depending on how a read trigger is implemented, it may only add
microseconds.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Mark S Waterbury <