Mike:

To my knowledge, there is no "issue" to do with "back-ups" when using triggers.//IBM i (and OS/400) save and restore operate on the object as a whole (the database *FILE) saving or restoring the entire "container" (data space, etc.); so it does not operate at a record or row level, and so, NO__ triggers are ever "fired" during normal save or restore operations.

Vengoal Chang posted a program named "TRGREADJRN" on his web site here:

http://blog.xuite.net/vengoal/as400/61009651

The web page is in an Asian language but the ILE RPG IV source code is in English. The TRGREADJRN program writes a journal entry to record details of each "read" of the file the trigger is attached to.

Hope that helps,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 3/22/2016 4:12 PM, Mike Cunningham wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread. The backup issue could be a problem for me as the file I need to do this on is one of our largest with 2.5M records. It gets backed up nightly so have 2.5M read triggers fire could cause a problem. My trigger could ignore that job and not journal (or data queue) that read but the trigger processing overhead would still take place. I could also remove the trigger just before backup starts and then put it back after backup ends but that's something I don't like to do as it could lead to problems someday when adding it back fails and the error is hidden deep in the backup joblog.

My other option is change code in the apps that read this data and presents it do a user (all in-house source code) and have each app journal the read.

And since I first asked this question nothing I do is going to meet the need 100%. I remembered that we send the data I need to read journal off to a could service that one of our offices use and the user can view the data that needs tracked from that service. I have no way to monitor or control access to the data once its sent.

Mike Cunningham