What is the CCSID of your .profile? If you created it through QSH or an
ILE interface it's probably in EBCDIC, which QP2TERM can't understand. If
you convert it to ASCII, it will work for both QSH and QP2TERM.

QSH:
$
ls -S .profile
819 .profile
$
cat .profile
export JAVA_HOME=/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk80/64bit
$
java -version
java version "1.8.0"

CALL QP2TERM:
$
cat .profile
export JAVA_HOME=/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk80/64bit
$
java -version
java version "1.8.0"

Kevin Adler