On 08-Jan-2016 12:05 -0700, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
We do QSYS/RTVDSKINF on a daily basis, touches every file.

To be clear, not all /first touch/ are created equal. While the RECLAIM instruction, being the implementation for Retrieve Disk Information (RTVDSKINF), and the further processing by that retrieve feature must /materialize/ the size of the objects, that reduced-function\generic /materialize/ may not have the same effect on the object as an object-specific /materialize/ would have on the object.

If that retrieve feature does effect the full object validation [associated with the /first touch/ term used for the Object Checker] for the data-related pieces of a database *FILE object, then that likely would be a mere side effect of an additional invocation of the /retrieve object description/ for the *FILE, for which the cumulative object size is accumulated by the Database File Size (QDBSIZFI) processing; but only if the size-file processing had performed more than was required to reveal only the cumulative size of the composite. IIRC that is not the case, and that the more thorough materialize requirements of the Display File Description (DSPFD) for the Type of either Member (MBR) or Member List (MBRLIST) will _necessarily_ effect a /first touch/ for which the the full validation effect of the Object Checker is performed; rather than merely MATSOBJ, the MATDS and MATDSI instructions would be performed. Otherwise there would exist almost no possibility for the /first touch/ effects to be avoided for the first save after an IPL, which I believe was at one time in effect for the LIC database objects, specifically intended to reduce the negative impact [even if only for that limited\specific set object of objects, which can be significant in number].

The aforementioned /first touch/ is generally the domain of the [generic] /Object Checker/. However for complex object types such as the LIC database objects, AFaIK the effect is deferred to the LIC Database feature [much like generic object handling is passed to the object handler for the complex object types]; i.e. if the LIC Database deems the first invocations via the Object Checker are not sufficiently regarded as a /touch/, such that the validation could be delayed, then that particular touch is not regarded as being the /first touch/, and can decide because the LIC DB knows that the method is not its own action for which a /first touch/ would be deemed mandatory. IIRC an exception to that is when member [or perhaps dataspace or DSI] conversions are required; i.e. conversions may be forced irrespective of the /touch/, to ensure accurate reporting then and that any future code will only ever see [because the new code will understand only] the new\converted-to structures of the object.

For LIC database objects there is also another /first touch/ distinct from that of the Object Checker, for which the effects can be seen in the amount of temporary storage on the system; the /activation/ [aka Open] of the member\data\access_path will create temporary run-time objects that will persist until the next PwrDwn. Thus another issue for post-IPL impact, also involving a /first touch/.