On 08-Jan-2016 08:32 -0700, John Yeung wrote:
<<SNIP>>

WRKLNK '/QSYS.LIB/MYSCHEMA.LIB/MYTABLE.FILE/*'

is both a lot more keystrokes *and* more mentally difficult than
launching PDM. It's really no contest. And that's irrespective of
whether you have any DOS or Unix background at all.

I brought up the DOS and Unix background to highlight why I don't
use PDM for things *other* than members. Libraries, files,
executable programs, and so forth, are *first-class objects*. I was
able to roughly map them in my mind to Unixish concepts. I was able
to work with them using CL commands in a roughly Unixish way. But
members were a different animal. They are not first-class objects.
Accessing them without PDM is weird, and much more awkward than
accessing first-class objects without PDM.

FWiW:

I see little difference from drilling-down into any other directory; in my mind, that the text files in some directories are restricted to appearing under anyname.FILE/* vs under anyname/* [and that they appear with .MBR vs .txt extension] is easily regarded as a strictly enforced convention.

And third-level members can appear little different than the external object types from the second-level, simply by being presented as effective first-level objects per having established the current directory:

// to get to my midrange-related documents in *nix:
cd /documents/myusername/ibmingstuff/midrange/
ls

// to get to my midrange-related documents on IBM i:
cd '/qsys.lib/mylibr.lib/midrange.file'
wrklnk '*'