On 21-Aug-2014 14:32 -0500, Matt Olson wrote:
Does anyone know what the default isolation level is for remote
connections to the IBM i via DRDA that don't specify any isolation
settings in the connection string?

Serializable? Repeatable Read? Read uncommitted?

I am unsure of what relevance there is to a /connection string/ and the DRDA, but AFaIK the default isolation for a DRDA connection is Read Uncommitted [aka COMMIT(*CHG)] for a DRDA CONNECT request; consistent with the Commitment Control (COMMIT) parameter defaults for the various SQL pre-compiler and run\scripting features [other than Start SQL Interactive Session (STRSQL)].

For an interface that uses a /connection string/ implementation, such as JDBC, the default transaction isolation level is defined by the particular implementation being utilized. For example, with the IBM i Access ODBC connection string, the default transaction isolation level is "2 = Read uncommitted (*CHG)". For the JDBC there exist features to retrieve and set [both the auto-commit setting and] the isolation so what is defaulted could be immaterial if checked and set; those features could be utilized to [re]establish the desired settings blindly, or perhaps the SQL statement to SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL would suffice [if the auto-commit setting is not also of interest].?