Don't modify it. Create a new one.

The QSTRUPPGM system value doesn't have to be QSTRUP. Mine is MLSTRUP.

I keep the around the source I retrieve from QSYS/QSTRUP and it's not a big
deal to do a three way match between that version, a new version and my
current MLSTRUP source.

This is basically the technique IBM documents:

Don't understand why you'd shy away from it.