Re: Any Reason Not To Have an RDB Directory Entry with Same Name on Both Partitions of a Physical Box?

fixed

On 14-Aug-2014 13:28 -0500, Krill, Coy wrote:
I've got a machine with two partitions installed by primary software
vendor and we also have a product from the same vendor that accesses
the production partition using MS SQL Server. We recently had a
problem with the MS SQL based application and had to restore files
for them to pull data into the data warehouse. I repeatedly had to
let them know that the Initial Catalog they needed to use for the
second partition where I had restored the files they needed. I was
thinking of making an RDB Directory Entry on the second partition
that matched the first partition just to make all our lives easier in
the future, but I was wondering if there is a reason not to that I
may be missing.

I seem to recall an ability to establish an ALIAS name for the *LOCAL entry; IIRC something that was likely to be used in a HA environment to allow for just such situations, whereby the failover machine needs to have its own DB name but the clients would still need\want to know that other system as the same as the original.?