Re: Variable length fields question

fixed

On 29-Jul-2014 16:07 -0500, Voris, John wrote:
<<SNIP>> I believe that if we defined the system using SQL Tables
and Views instead of DDS, then we would likely gain more in CPU
savings than anything we might achieve with database field sizes.

That belief is sure to lead to disappointment. There is effectively nothing with differences between DDS and SQL DDL that will assist with performance for [var]char fields\columns. Differences will be seen most with changes from RLA to SQL DML; effectively the same difference with the file(s) remaining defined via the DDS.