On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:46:11 -0400, "John R. Smith, Jr."
<smith5646@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is only true if you remember to %TRIM() the value BEFORE writing the
record. I have forgotten that from time to time and my field includes the
trailing spaces even though it was a variable length field.

because the Fixed Length (aka. Allocated-Length) must be respected !

If you set alpha1 = %trim('A234567890 ') the value of alpha1 is
''A234567890' regardless of the VARLEN(15). The fixed length (15) only
applies to the DASD, not the variable.

Let's not forget the %trim and %trimr are not the same thing.

Leading blanks are often significant, so using %trim instead of %trimr
can lead to undesirable results.