Hi Michael -

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:37:10 +0000, "Koester, Michael"
<mkoester@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I played with the record using DBU in update mode, and was unable to put any blanks past the 6th position. It automatically trimmed all trailing blanks - even the ones I tried to put in from the keyboard.

I've found the same thing, that DBU always trims any trailing blanks.
I use varying fields a lot in programs, but we only have a few files
with them. For all of them, always trimming all trailing blanks is
the preferred behaviour.