Re: DNS Search Rules

fixed

Kirk,

I'm not sure that this is governed by a standard, since it's not part of the way things work under-the-covers, it's just a feature of a program.

But, I agree with your client. If you do ping 'bob', it should be looking for 'bob' first, then 'bob.xxxxx.yyyyyy.com', unless 'yyyyyy.com' is in your DNS search list.

You can add a . as a suffix if you don't want it to automatically append the domain name. So you could do 'bob.xxxxx.yyyyyy.com.' (note the trailing dot) and it should ONLY look for that exact name. Likewise, you could do 'bob.' and it'd only look for bob without any domain suffix.

Does that help?

-SK