You don't know what amount of time I have to do this, and the constraints put upon me by my boss.

I know from long ago that starting JVMs is very expensive.

I do believe that once a JVM is started in a job, THAT JVM will be used - so I will not be restarting the JVM with every execution of the SQL2JXL command - that's Giuseppe Costagliola's command, by the way.

We will have to disagree about the flexibility of CGIDEV2 to OpenXML - the CGIDEV2 part, at least - that is very flexible, in my opinion. OpenXML? I am probably limited to text - can't seem to find a way to embed an image yet - maybe there's a way to stream it - the image will not be available to the people getting the email with the attached XLSX file.