By default, QPADEV*** virtual devices are set NOT to vary on at IPL.
Because of this many new QPADEV*** acre created, old ones not used because they remain in a VARIED OFF state.
I'm not sure the default, Online at IPL *NO, can be changed to *YES, these are created on the fly.

Any thoughts on how to manage.

I was thinking of deleting all QPADEV** on a daily basis, let the system create new ones as needed.
We have several apps that use QPADEV*** devices, they are created, as needed, on the fly.

Thank You
Paul Steinmetz
IBM i Systems Administrator

Pencor Services, Inc.