There are a couple of things different.
One, we have a dummy printer as our default printer. Therefore nothing
prints automatically so I don't get all hung up about wasted paper, toner,
etc.
Two, we automatically delete all spool files over x days old with a job.
Runs against every spool file, no exceptions. I almost never do a WRKSPLF
and clean it up. Normally when I want to look at a spool file I'll do a
WRKJOB and take the option to just look at the spool files for that job.
On very rare occasions I may fire up iNav, select all spool files in there
and blast them.
These might explain why I never notice them.