Joe

In one way I agree - I've felt that an IASP is like a junior LPAR - much of what happens in an IPL takes place when varying on an IASP device.

I think an issue arises with regard to licensing for all the 3rd-party items you list - if they are licensed by serial number, as many are, then, yes, you'd have a single license that is usable on all IASPs. I know that this was a challenge for us at RJS when I was there - and, in fact, it could be seen as a way of getting around licensing, in effect allowing multiple "instances" to be run on the same LPAR.

Another issue is that each LPAR has its own *SYSBAS - IASPs share one *SYSBAS - how do you keep ROBOT data for one purpose segregated from that for another purpose - and if these "purposes" are actually different clients, this is a real issue - UNLESS you install multiple copies of such a product on one LPAR - and that leads to my first issue. Or I suppose you could put copies of the database for a product in each IASP - again, are you violating the spirit of the licensing? It depends.

Another aspect of a *SYSBAS - it is basically all the space you have left from IASPs and regular ASPs (numbers start with 2) - with IASPs you have a limit - even regular ASPs will simply overflow into the *SYSBAS - as I recall, there is no overflow with IASPs.

I think IASPs can be a pretty-good solution for test and production, for evaluation of updates to products, perhaps. And still with some of the concerns I have raised.

Vern