From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Nathan Andelin
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 12:34 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Why do companies partition their Power Servers?

Based on prior discussions on this list, there appears to be quite a bit
effort involved in setting up partitions, virtual I/O, applying PTFs and
Technology Refreshes, and just general support. What drives people to do

Are there certain aspects about certain types of workloads that are
this? If so, then what, specifically?

I think I already understand the business case for using separate
partitions for separate tenants. Individual organizations may need
completely separate virtual machine instances to keep their environments

But why are some organizations partitioning their servers for internal

Another related, but somewhat different question, is what it might take
streamline the process for creating IBM i partitions, similar to the
platform-as-a-service offerings from organizations such as the

IBM i on Power appears to be left behind in a rush toward cloud services
from organizations such as Amazon Web Services, Google App Engine,
Salesforce, IBM Bluemix, which appear to make it very easy to create VM
environments for Windows and Linux platforms.