Re: IFS file Created, Accessed and Changed info

fixed

Responding to my own post:

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[TechRepublic:]
"The major difference is in the resolution time, which can vary from
10 milliseconds for 'create time' on FAT-formatted files to one hour
for 'access time' on NTFS-formatted files."

This is an amazingly awkward and uninformative statement. What about
the "access time" on FAT or the "create time" on NTFS, or the "change
time" on either? In any case, the one hour seems kind of
preposterous. Even the screen shots in that very article strongly
suggest that the access time has resolution no worse than one second.

I think the resolution on all three times are the same for any given
filesystem. I could be wrong, but it just seems like a ridiculous
idea to make some timestamps have finer resolution than others.

Well, according to the Python documentation (regarding its wrapper for
the "stat" system call), Windows FAT filesystems have 2-second
resolution on modification time and 1-day (yes, day!) resolution on
access time.

So I was definitely wrong. I stand by the assessment that this is
ridiculous, and I am still not completely confident about the
correctness of the TechRepublic article. However, here's a link from
Microsoft, which presumably is as authoritative as we have easy access
to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724290%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

John Y.