I have a system where on occasion I would like to increase the maximum java heap for a 64-bit JVM.

I am using the ADDENVVAR command via a CL program which sets JAVA_OPS -Xms4000m - Xmx4000m.
This seems to be completely ignored by the system which leaves the maximum java heap at 2048m for the 64-Bit machine.
As soon as the 2048m limit is reached I receive the out of memory error.

The machine I'm working on has more than enough memory for the request.

What am i missing?