I use MPG, which has some graphs for Processors used.
Normally around .2 some spikes to .o6 .8
I have 1.5 configured.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:54 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: No Power7 to Power8 MES upgrade option, entitlements, cores, etc.

Why and where does it say that a job will be dispatched to all
available cores, because that is not the case.

I'm defining "available cores" as the ones that have IBM i entitlements.
IIRC, you indicated having IBM i entitlements for 3 cores out of 8 in the socket. So active Job (threads) will be dispatched among the 3, according to IBM i workload management. It may be possible that all threads are dispatched to just 1 core on a mostly idle server. Much of this is explained in Frank Soltis' books, but the concept is generally understood.

How do you know that only 1 core is being used?

My understanding is that vendors can limit their products to just 1 core by using "workload groups", which is described in the Information Center. Is that what you're seeing?

-Nathan.