Paul,

Sorry I did not qualify my license transfer statement to exclude some of the
P5 boxes where the OS was part of the serial number. That's been quite some
time and I literally forgot about it.

As to the IRS rules you only need to look at the massive CPW number that are
coming out now vs, the CPW on the older machine. More than the IRS limit,
and it cannot be upgraded, it has to be a net new asset by serial number.
The other features attached to your P7 may not fall into the category but
the processor does, and that's where the serial number is grounded. IBM
can and sometimes does give specific discounts to get you to move even when
the serial number changes but that's not what we are discussing here.
Upgrade rules with respect to IRS have been constant and steady for many
years, but the horsepower certainly has not stayed on a straight line.

As to using the 2nd CPU I don't doubt that it happened, but like Larry every
time I've seen an application like that the OS, LPPs, and other functions
will grab that other CPU and peg it out as best they can.

Your question on the available cores depends on how the box was ordered. If
they were physically turned on and paid for you can use them for AIX or
Linux workload, or of course buy another IBM i license.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect