Dup the tape, make the dup the new original, int/fix the tape in error.
You do not want to leave tapes in BRMS in *ERR status.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ankush Agrawal
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 12:04 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: BRMS Tape labels

Thanks for the reply Paul. We don't want to initialize the tapes, as the tapes contain active data and the data is critical.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've had volumes with in BRMS go into an error status.
When this happens the BRMS volume id some is changed and does not match the physical id.
All of my errors where of the logical type, none were ever physically damaged.
BRMS has a fix that I've used successfully.

Reasons Why a BRMS-Enrolled Volume Will Be Marked in *ERR

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1015143

On some of these errors, if the volume ID is not posted in the message, BRMS cannot mark the volume in error.

Notes:
1. After a volume is marked in *ERR, it can be reset only by removing the volume, then adding the volume back into the BRMS inventory by using the ADDMLMBRM command. Normally, the volume can be initialized and reused. However, if it continues to be marked in error, the volume should be discarded and replaced.
2. If an active volume is marked in *ERR, an attempt to remove it will fail with:

BRM1491 - Message . . . . : Volume 284AAO not removed.
Cause . . . . . : Volume 284AAO cannot be removed because it contains active data.
The volume contents must be expired before the volume can be removed.
Caution: Expiring a volume manually with option 7=Expire in WRKMEDBRM will delete the associated media information.
3. Volumes with active data on them may still be used to restore from while in *ERR; however if they have expired, the actions in Note 1 must be followed.
4. At 7.1 the *ERR status can be removed by using option 9=Remove volume error status in WRKMEDBRM.