The output of HPT is usually some flavor of ASCII. Maybe that's why it looks like "gibberish" to you?

Possibly you just need to mark the IFS file with a proper CCSID after it's done, and tools like DSPF or EDTF will view it properly?

Regarding your change... are you certain that the data is null-terminated? In my experience with the HPT API, it normally is not, it's just raw binary data. You should not be using %STR here... unless I'm misunderstanding.