I downloaded a program called Spl2Stmf that uses the spool file API's to
read a spool file and write an IFS file.

I'm trying to modify so I can just read the spool file in RPG to look for
some keywords.

I changed this line which wrote the STMF:

EVAL bytesw = write(fd : xbufspc_p : hptxbuflena)

To this:

String = %str(xbufspc_p : hptxbuflena);

But I only see gibberish in the String. I'm guessing that the write command
in the original example did some conversion when it wrote to the IFS.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Maybe I need to strip out the HPT
completely as I'm just reading the spool file in the program? The original
download save file link is broken however.

Now that I think more this is overkill and I just need something to open and
read the spool file.

Thanks, Jack