Guys,

After reading through Eric's initial post stating that trim would not work
if the field was not defined as
varying, I sort of dismissed the offered solutions out of hand since the
field in question was char(20) (from
DDS).

But then I saw Jeff's success with Tom's suggestion so I went back, tried
it, and it worked like a charm. Eric's did too, once I fixed a missing ')'.

Guess I got a little confused after being informed that the trim function
wouldn't work on a non-varying field but being presented with solutions
using Rtrim (or should I say wouldn't get me the results I was looking for).

Obviously, I mis-read what I was reading! So, like Jeff, I'm putting these
in the old toolbox!

Thanks again!

--
Buzz