Hi Charles,

I think that discussion is for software licenses on top of IBM i and not
for IBM i itself, correct?

Aaron Bartell

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Have you seen this article?

http://ibmsystemsmag.blogs.com/you_and_i/2012/02/software-pricing-with-ibm-i-virtualization.html

Also has links to some good info.

Charles

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Based on your response am I right to assume pricing is based on processor
group(n1) and also number of cores(n2)?

(n1)the one displayed on WRKLICINF
(n2)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7#Products

What I am hoping for is to get a matrix of how IBM i pricing/licensing
works today and determine what needs to change for it to work well in the
cloud.

Further: I am on the IBM ISV Advisory Council and plan on submitting a
requirement detailing what needs to change with IBM i licensing/pricing
concerning the cloud era we are now in.

What I am seeing: IBM purchased Softlayer last year(n3) and Softlayer
recently declared they will support Power hardware(n4), though no
promises
to support IBM i (I've called and asked). There are many other IBM i
cloud
providers(n5) that also need to have cloud minded licensing/pricing for
IBM
i for it to succeed.

(n3)http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/41430.wss
(n4)http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/43252.wss
(n5)http://joehertvik.com/?p=816

Aaron Bartell

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Jim Oberholtzer <