Checking to see if a Tomcat context is alive or hung

fixed

I've been asked to come up with a command-line (or batch job) utility to check, programmatically, whether a Tomcat context that's part of one of our products is alive and accepting connections, or hung.

I'm already attempting to pick the brains of our people who developed the Tomcat context, to see what they can recommend I do.

But I'd like the Midrange List's input as well. One idea I had, since we bundle HTTPAPIR4 with the product, was to send test requests to the context via HTTPAPI.

Another idea I've had would be to run some sort of headless test Java program.

Any suggestions?

--
JHHL