On 06-Mar-2014 11:13 -0800, Dave Boettcher wrote:
<<SNIP>> Bit of a challenge. <<SNIP>>

A trace is likely to be very revealing. Used to be TRCJOB *ON, perform the failing request, and then TRCJOB *OFF. Though in this or similar scenarios whereby the problem involves some authority [or capability] issue(s), perhaps those TRCJOB requests should be invoked from a user\job that has previously requested STRSRVJOB against the job that will exhibit the failing request. I presume using those TRCJOB invocations is still supported, although the underlying implementation was actually changed to: STRTRC, ENDTRC, and then another /print trace/ feature [of which I do not recall the name].