Hi Jeff

are the users logging in from different places/sites ? Is it possible the
user with a problem is going through a different firewall and having
different rules applied ?

Maybe they need to use passive mode (PASV) to make the transfer work or
maybe a firewall is blocking FTP.

You don't say what release you are on but you could also check the
WRKFCNUSG command to see if that user has some additional FTP restrictions
that the other users don't have.