Thanks for the ideas Chuck. Let's see...

cd /g

cat asp_445.csv asp_445_canada.csv

hangs, and after cancelling the session, the job log shows

5722SS1 V5R4M0 060210 Job Log BUSHNELL 02/02/14 19:07:06 Page 1
Job name . . . . . . . . . . : QP0ZSPWP User . . . . . . : PDOW Number . . . . . . . . . . . : 385579
Job description . . . . . . : TEST37 Library . . . . . : PDOW
MSGID TYPE SEV DATE TIME FROM PGM LIBRARY INST TO PGM LIBRARY INST
CPDB050 Diagnostic 30 02/02/14 19:07:06.093112 QZLCKERN QSYS *STMT QZLCKERN QSYS *STMT
From module . . . . . . . . : QZLCVUT
From procedure . . . . . . : QzlcDiagMsg
Statement . . . . . . . . . : 191
To module . . . . . . . . . : QZLCVUT
To procedure . . . . . . . : QzlcDiagMsg
Statement . . . . . . . . . : 191
Message . . . . : Session initialization error with Network Server BPO-DC2.
Cause . . . . . : The Network Server file system (QNTC) detected an error
attempting to initialize a session with Network Server BPO-DC2. Recovery .
. . : Ensure the QSERVER subsystem is started and operational. If the
Server is loaded on an Integrated xSeries Server for iSeries, ensure that
the NWSD is varied on and the server is active. If the Server is a remote
system, ensure that the system is active and the Server program has been
started. If the Server is an OS/400 NetServer, ensure that the server has
been started. Technical description . . . . . . . . : An error code 3447
was received while trying to initialize a session to the Network Server
BPO-DC2. To determine the meaning of the error number, do one of the
following: If the error code is 4 digits, then - Use DSPMSGD CPExxxx, where
xxxx is the error number, to display an error message containing more
information about this error number. - Display one of the following files
that contain descriptions of error numbers: QSYSINC/SYS, member ERRNO and
QCLE/H member ERRNO. If the error code is 3 digits, then the possible
NetBEUI error codes are: 101 -- Name conflict. 102 -- Duplicate name. 103 --
Command canceled. 104 -- Session ended abnormally. 105 -- Failure. 106 --
Not valid session number. 107 -- Session closed. 108 -- Network error. 109
-- Session open rejected. 110 -- Name not found. 111 -- Request timed out.
112 -- Request aborted. 114 -- Not valid IP Address. 115 -- Session request
issued. 116 -- Session request good. 117 -- Session request rejected. 119 --
Data Pending.

I'd done the DSPMSGD CPE3447 ("A remote host did not respond within the timeout period.") which I mentioned in the original post (although I didn't say where I got it from).

I tried

cd /home/pdow [local folder]
cat thekey.txt thekey2.txt > /g/thekey.txt

and it immediately created /g/thekey.txt with the contents of the 2 files. So I guess writing to a /QNTC folder is not a problem.

I started "cat asp_445.csv asp_445_canada.csv" again and let it run, and after about 5-10 minutes, it started spitting out the contents of the 2 files.

So reading the files from /g just takes a lllooooonnnnng time?

I actually remember those environment variables, and how they make a dramatic improvement when doing "WRKLNK '/QNTC'", but one of the old workarounds for that issue, prior to the environment variables, was creating a symbolic link pointing to the particular server you want (if you know what it is), which is what the /g does for me.

--

*Peter Dow*/
Dow Software Services, Inc.

/