Re: HMC network install of i5OS V7R1 from a single volume DSLO image - OS and PTF combined

fixed

On 15-Jan-2014 12:50 -0800, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
On 15-Jan-2014 12:44 -0800, CRPence wrote:
The "Install New System" profile establishes a non-S/36EE [native]
configuration, whereas the "Install Replace Release" leaves
unchanged, whatever was previously established on the system; i.e.
the prior configuration, with regard to the system values QAUTCFG,
QDEVNAMING, and QSPCENV, remain the _same_ as they were. <<SNIP>>

1) What profile do you use / recommend?

Have not used them, because all of my "customized installs" were effected by manual install, and most before the concept of installation profiles existed. Most of what I learned about the feature was from when the function was being designed and coded; from when I was consulted for input on specifics. As I recall, the intention was to enable effective unattended installation, whereby all of the attended responses would be automated by specifications in the profile; thus the type of install to be done on the target system would be a reference to determine which profile would best serve the purpose.

Presently, for most questions about the feature, I would have to refer anyone to the docs; just as I would probably need to refer there. But do not overlook, that the profiles can be customized and that there is the additional capability to include the user-defined installation program QLPUSER in QGPL owned by a system user; e.g. owned by QLPAUTO, QLPINSTALL, or QSYS.

<http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzai4/rzai4overview.htm>
Overview of tasks to distribute software using central site distribution

<http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzai4/rzai4wrtqlpuser.htm>
Optional: Writing a user-defined installation program for the target systems

2) Why are there 2 replace releases, what are the differences?
QIBMRPLRLS IBM replace current release
QINSNEWSYS Install new AS/400
QRPLRELLVL Replace current release

The two distinct Replace Release options have their differences, primarily at least, with how the LPPs are processed:

<http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzai4/rzai4installprofs.htm>
IBM i 7.1 Information Center -> IBM i and related software -> Distributing software -> Distributing software using central site distribution -> Central site distribution concepts
_Installation profiles for central site distribution_
"IBM supplies four installation profiles that you can use to install the distribution media at the target systems. You can also customize these profiles to suit your specific needs.

_Replace current release_ (QRPLRELLVL)
... *replaces licensed programs* that are at the same version, release, and modification as on the media.

_Install new system_ (QINSNEWSYS)

_IBM replace current release_ (QIBMRPLRLS)
... *does not replace licensed programs* that are at the same version, release, and modification as on the media.

_Change primary language_ (QCHGPRILNG)

_Customized IBM installation profiles_

If you want to create your own installation profile or customize the IBM-supplied installation profiles, select option 41 (Work with installation profiles) from the GO LICPGM menu. To work with installation profiles, you must have *CHANGE authority to the QALPAUTO file in the QUSRSYS library."